Monday, March 29, 2010

Becoming Bernice

This post is really for my sister Michelle who finds the humor in my life.
Allow me to introduce Bernice. (Name yet similar has been changed) I met Bernice the other night and she made me think a lot…. … Bernice is 35 single never been married only child, never left home without a parent, Bernice has natural mousy brown hair with about 3 inches of blond tips (from grow out) Bernice has two dogs (don’t recall what kind because I don’t know dogs) and lives in her parents basement, she works in the accounting dept. for the church all of her clothes consist of sister missionary material black, tights, black buckle doc Martins, plaid skirts etc. Bernice’s parents still pay for everything from her hair to her meals; Bernice hasn’t waxed her eyebrows since she was 20. She goes to bed every night at 9:00 if she stays up till 10 she is extremely tired the next day. Bernice has a very hard time speaking her mind or even knowing what she wants. Her mother and 65 year old aunt make all the decisions for her. Bernice has a hard time making friends and meeting her soul mate she has traveled long long distances to meet online acquaintances in the hope that they turn in to online soul mates. When I talked with Bernice her mother informed me the two of them would be traveling 8 hrs to Idaho on Saturday to meet another online friend who they had been talking to for four months. Bernice was going to wear her mother’s sweater with a broche on it to meet the man. When I asked her if she had been on a lot of vacations she said yes last month to Oregon for a funeral. I asked Bernice if she was going to school she said she didn’t have the money or energy, not sure what Bernice spent her money on but she was broke. I came home and told my mom I did not want to become Bernice, I explained that I never wanted to give up having ambitions and chase dead beat online boyfriends, don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with being older and not married, but when you loose yourself and goals and ambitions that’s when it becomes sad. I made her promise me she would kick me out at age 30.While Bernice is a lovely person she is so different from me. A life not lived to the fullest is a life not lived! There is so much to do and see and become, there is no time to waste being shy and living in your parent’s basement having other people decide your future. My mom reassured me I was to pretty to not be married by 25 (as mothers do) I hope Bernice meets her soul mate and finds her happiness, In the meantime I will be staying away from black Doc. Martins and livin life up! Best of luck to me and Bernice.

I tried to find a fitting picture for this post I entered Bernice into google images and this was the picture that came up...




yep that about sums it up :)




2 comments:

  1. Trust me you won't become Bernice your far from it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren!How are you by the way? It's been forever! Hows the hair business treating you?

    ReplyDelete