Saturday, April 24, 2010



The day has come…what was supposed to be a temporary part time job became a full time job for 2 years of my life. This is a bittersweet day not going to lie who doesn’t like to leave a job, but deep down I am terribly sad. I have never told anyone this but I was going to quit my second week here, it was to structured and so much was demanded of me, I couldn’t type fast, I didn’t know who to transfer the phone , basically I felt like a failure. But on the day I was going to quit much to my surprise my cute co-worker Paige had gather others and handed me a gift card and flowers .it was National receptionist day I remember her singing me “happy receptionist day” to the tune of happy birthday. I knew I couldn’t quit. Paige became my best friend at work I told her everything and I mean everything! I have made so many great friendships here it is hard to leave
! just to name a few and what they taught me:

Christine: Who taught me a job worth doing is a job worth doing …perfect. She expected perfection out of my work and pushed me to do so. She also taught me about fashion and calories which we all know are my life long goals :)

Morgan: Who taught me that nothing is to bad that you can’t survive it, to always be nice to everyone, that no matter what happens as a single lady you can be hot and filthy rich (ok so she didn’t teach me that but she is both of those things)
She once said something that has always stuck with me I think her mom told her this:
Before you gossip think to yourself:
1- I s it true?
2- Is it necessary to share
3- Will it hurt someone by saying it?
And to give 100 % percent of you to others, and not be disappointed when they don’t give 100% back.

Paige: That happiness is all in the beholder. She taught me how to be outgoing and make friends. She taught me a lot about being married and how to be happy in everything you choose. To help out in any area you can even if it’s not your job. And to not settle for anything.

Natalie: Oh where to begin, she taught me how to make over 1,000 labels ;) she taught me all her HR tricks. She let me cry to her when life was hard. We cried when something witnessing something hilarious that only we could understand. She taught me how to make goals and reach them, how to be positive no matter what. How to do fundraising and plan parties.

Ron : Who taught me your never to old to hit on young blond girls 

These are just a few but I have learned how doing satisfying work leads to a satisfying life. And that women can play a huge part in the business world you can achieve anything if you want it bad enough.

I will miss so many things about this job but a few I won’t miss include:

Not having to say “Good morning _____ This is Amy, how may I help you?” 20 times a day!
Doing the dishes

Cleaning the conference rooms
Mailing, fed EX ing, ordering supplies.
Having my name yelled from the copy room because the printer is broken and they think I can fix it.
Having my name called from the break room to bring them the menu folder.
BRIEFINGS, BRIEFINGS, AND NO MORE BRIEFINGS.
Having to deal with angry callers
Having to deal with paper sales men

Oh how I have learned patience! I think everyone should be a receptionist once in there life to truly learn patience. This job has molded me into a better person all the hard times have definitely built character in me. I think I may have been directed to this job just for the people, if so it was totally worth 2 years of my life.

4 comments:

  1. gotta tell ya...I'm fighting back some major tears after reading this! Oh amy, I miss you and I am so happy that you didn't quit and we were able to become such great friends! I just love you to death and think you are one of the funniest, happiest, prettiest girls I know! I'm serious. You are AMAZING and I am so lucky to call you my friend. :) Good luck on your new adventure! post lots of pictures and lots of good stories...cuz we all know you're going to have some good ones. I love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh AMY!!! What a great post. I'm gonna miss you so much. I know I'm down in the dungeon and I didn't see you a lot but you always brightened my day. How exciting for you to be on to your next adventure! I know you are going to love it and probably meet your Prince Charming. Don't be a stranger....PLEASE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMY AMY!! Where do I begin! I would be lost with out you! You are such a great person and I am so going to miss seeing your face everyday and shoot the breeze about our nights and weekends. You made this place a lot easier to deal with everyday!! I better still see you and I am so happy that you are doing something you LOVE! Good luck! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ladies! don't make me cry again! I will miss you so so much! seriously think I was meant to work there to meet you fabulous people! love you lots!

    ReplyDelete